Friday, December 28, 2012

Achtung Schweinehund

Achtung Schweinehund!
Another post I don't often do - a book review.

I borrowed this book off good mate Roly, who suggested I should give it a read, and I'm glad he did!

To anyone who grew up as a young boy through the 60s and 70s as I did, this is going to strike a chord, big time!

It did for me especially, as Harry grew up in Teeside, just a few miles south of my old stomping ground of Tyne and Wear, so many places he mentions in his tale, bring back many memories of my childhood life back in the UK...

The link below the above picture, goes to the Amazon site with its own review.

Its a great little book that details Harry's early life and how and why he got into 'Wargaming' and more importantly stayed with it into adulthood.

It plots the trials and tribulations of being a wargamer and figure collector / painter. It touches on our self perceived nerdy geekdom, and our concerns at 'coming out' to the greater community...

Oh and if you're a fantasy player, or gasp even worse a LARP-er , be prepared for a verbal kick in the krackers! You have been warned!

So if you remember playing with Airfix toy soldiers on the carpet, and shooting them down with flaming matches from the end of sprung loaded die-cast toy tank barrels, or throwing Action Man with his parachute out of the upstairs bedroom window or playing classic boardgames like Escape from Colditz, then this book is for you! ;-)

Cracking stuff! Give it a read if you can get your hands on a copy!

8 comments:

  1. It really is a great read. I matched of the wargame related stories in addition to growing up on Teeside. As you say well worth read

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing a parted company from him was the commando comics bit otherwise all very familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read. I grew up on a healthy diet of Commando comics. If you haven't seen them before I fully recommend them. They are a great source of quotes to accompany table-top action - Donner und Blitzen! Zees Englanders are so many! etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a few years ago then gave it to a mate. REALLY enjoyed it and laughed out loud many times. Have recommended it many times myself - time for a re-read perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh - I knew you'ld enjoy it!!! Cheers, Roly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the perfect book for any wargamer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book is awesome. I grew up in California and I still see myself on nearly every page. It is a book that every one of us old wargamers should read.

    Mike Bunkermeister Creek
    Bunker Talk blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a great book Scott. I found myself laughing out loud, especially when I recognised myself in so many places.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...